Just Doing My Best

has been moved to new address

http://www.justdoingmybest.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Just Doing My Best: Everything Egg - Use Them Up

Monday, April 6, 2009

 

Everything Egg - Use Them Up


With Easter quickly approaching, you probably have seen reduced egg prices and will likely be boiling some this weekend. Over the next few days, I will be giving you some egg info, food prep suggestions and decorating ideas, so check back often to see what's new.

If you plan on coloring eggs or even if you are just a frugal shopper, you will want to take advantage of the lower egg prices. Of course, it's not a bargain if you do not use them before they expire. Read on for some ideas on using them up and if you have other ideas, please leave me a comment. I'd love to hear your ideas too.

**Update. I've received quite a bit of comments and questions about the eggs inside of meatloaf, so I found a recipe to show you what I'm talking about. It's not the same one I use, but the one at Eggland's Best will give you an idea of what it looks like.**

If you need some pointers on boiling the perfect egg or a way to save on them through the year, check back tomorrow.



This post is linked to:

Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy's Recipes


I Am Blissfully Domestic at
Blissfully Domestic


Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
I would never in a million years imagined eggs inside a meatloaf. Interesting!
 
Easter is my favorite holiday. One of the delightful traditions in my family are the wonderful homemade potato salad, deviled eggs and egg salad sandwiches that begin appearing after Sunday morning. I can't wait!
 
We love eggs also and I have posted on my blog a great egg casserole that my kids just loved.
 
Okay, I have to ask. Eggs in meatloaf?! I love eggs, and I love meatloaf, but... I'm not sure I'd love an egg in my meatloaf, LOL! But I do love egg salad. One of the best we have tried is basically made from a deviled egg recipe, except I chop up the eggs instead of refilling them. (Just for everyday eats). Thanks for sharing the tips though as I have some eggs languishing in the fridge right now!
 
Crystal and Angela,

Thanks for reading and for the comments. I will admit, when I first saw the recipe for the egg in the meatloaf, I thought it was unusual too. :) It definitely creates an interesting presentation and the flavor really is not affected. Great for one of those days you feel like going against the grain. :)

Thanks for reading!
Heather
 
I have another one for you, if you like cauliflower. "Cauliflower Polanaise" is really yummy. Cook the cauli as usual. In a pan brown some breadcrumbs in butter until golden. Take a hardboiled egg or two and chop them up. Mix the chopped egg, buttery bread crumbs and cooked cauliflower together and serve. It is so delicious you may never eat cauliflower any other way again, LOL!
 
Mom2fur,

I've never heard of that! I love cauliflower and might have to give that a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Heather
 
Thanks for sharing and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.
 
Hi Heather, I saw your link on Blissfully Domestic, and I'm glad I stopped by. You have a cute site. I'll do some searching for an egg meatloaf. Interesting.
 
I love eggs, you can do so many things with them and its a cheap source of protein.
 
I love egg salad sandwiches!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]