Just Doing My Best

has been moved to new address

http://www.justdoingmybest.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Just Doing My Best: Prize Winning Texas Chili

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

 

Prize Winning Texas Chili

As promised in my Ultimate Blog Party post, today I am sharing my favorite, prize winning chili recipe. This recipe comes from my grandpa in Texas, who you may remember from a previous post if you are a regular reader here, is a great cook.

Last weekend, our church had a chili cook-off and of 20+ pots of other chili, his recipe won! I am so excited because I make this for my family several times a year, every year and we love it.



Texas Chili


  • 2 cans jalapeno pinto beans
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 3 lbs ground beef
  • 1/2 cup parsley
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon black pepper
  • 1/3 cup chili powder
  • 2 Tablespoons cumin
  • 2 large onions
  • 2 large bell peppers
  • 2 Tablespoons shortening or oil
  • 1 stick of butter
Saute diced onion and bell pepper in shortening until tender. Set aside. Brown meat in pan and pour off grease. Add butter and dry ingredients to meat; mix well. Add cooked onions, pepper, and parsley to the meat; mix well. Add beans, tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook slowly 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

As you can see from the pic, sometimes I use a little less meat, onions, and green pepper for weeknight meals, just to keep the cost down. For the cook-off though, the recipe was followed precisely. We like it served with Fritos under the chili. OK, my mouth is watering just typing this out.

Hope you like it!


You can find this recipe linked to:

Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy's Recipes
Tasty Tuesday at Forever Wherever
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
Talk about Tuesday at The Lazy Organizer



Labels: ,


Comments:
Gotta love a prize winner, it looks so good, we love a good chili recipe.
 
That sounds great. I'm going to try it next time I cook chili.
 
I see why it is a winner. This Texas girl likes the sound of this chili! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.
 
This sounds so good!! We love chili, mine is just a very simple recipe,with few ingredients, I will have to try yours the next time I make it!!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! :)
 
I love a good chili recipe! I can't wait to try this!
 
We love chili! That's awesome that you won! How fun is that? Now you can pass down the recipe and stories will be told about it in your family forever. Great post! Thanks for joining us for Tasty Tuesday with this recipe!!!
~Kim
 
Yum! I love chili, I even freeze some extra when we make chili! Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
 
Good morning! I saw this post and froze. I can be a bit over-board when it comes to chili. There are so many varieties that I literately have a entire recipe box just for my chili recipes. Looks like I've got another one to add....Thanks!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]