Just Doing My Best

has been moved to new address

http://www.justdoingmybest.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Just Doing My Best: Derby Day Pie

Monday, April 27, 2009

 

Derby Day Pie


I had to deviate from my "Cleaning Out" posts today to pay homage to a Kentucky favorite. (Check back tomorrow and I'll continue the "Cleaning Out" series.) As you may know, I am from Kentucky and this week our state is center stage. The Run for the Roses, a.k.a., The Kentucky Derby runs this Saturday. There are many festivities that lead up to this event and even some locally favorite foods gain extra attention this time of year. Have you ever heard of Burgoo or Mint Julep? One is delicious, the other, not so much.

One of the other Kentucky specialties is Derby Day Pie. (We actually refer to it as something else, but the name we use is trademarked and I want to play it safe.) This pie is delicious, addicting and easy to make.


Derby Day Pie

1 cup sugar
1 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Mix and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 50 minutes at 350 or until set. This makes enough for two regular pie shells or one deep dish.



If you want to read more about the Derby from a local's point of view, Shannon at Up Too Early has written a post that will give you taste of the city during this exciting time.

This recipe has been linked to:
Mouthwatering Mondays by Southern Fairytale
Kitchen Tip Tuesdays by Tammy's Recipes
Tempt My Tummy by Blessed With Grace
Tasty Tuesday by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Talk about Tuesday by The Lazy Organizer

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Mmmm...I've made something similar to this before and it's delicious! We love it slightly warmed with vanilla ice cream on top.
 
Oh this looks really good. We always enjoy watching the Derby.
 
can't wait to try this recipe out!
 
Sounds so, so good!
 
This looks wonderful and I am always looking for easy recipes for my young daughter. Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday. :)
 
YUMMYYYYY! I may have to make this as well! You girls with the Derby food... mmm mmm good!
 
Wow! Looks delicious!
 
Looks great! Thanks for sharing! It's the week for Derby food, I did cupcakes.
~Liz
 
Sounds good. Thanks for signing my blog.
 
YUMMY! Thank for the recipe. It looks great and EASY!
 
Oh My! I think I'd like a slice of that!





!
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]