Just Doing My Best

has been moved to new address

http://www.justdoingmybest.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Just Doing My Best: Fast and Free Homemade Cleaner

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

 

Fast and Free Homemade Cleaner


I have white counter tops. I love the crisp and clean appearance, but they can be an absolute pain. I've had gorgeous shades of purple from grape juice and a beautiful pink from something I couldn't identify. Usually a quick spray of a commercial cleaner is enough, but when regular kitchen cleaners don't do the job, I have a quick and powerful cleaner that I can whip up from my pantry.

I do not have exact measurements, but it's easy to eyeball. Just put a little bit of baking soda into a small bowl. A couple of tablespoons will probably be more than enough. Then, add just enough lemon juice to make a paste. This paste is one powerful cleaner. Just rub it onto the stained item and if it's stubborn, let it sit for bit. If the stain still won't budge, cover the stain with the homemade paste and let it sit outside in the sunlight for a while.

Once when an item transferred rust to my white dishes in the dishwasher, I used this paste and it came right off.

Do you have any tips for great homemade cleaners?
For more tips, visit Works for Me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
I generously spray my shower with Vinegar. Yes it stinks but it safely kills/prevents mold. I then dip my damp sponge into baking soda and gently scrub the shower. The baking soda is a mild abrasive that sends soap scum packing but more importantly it also nuturalizes the vinegar smell.
 
CJ Sime,
What a great idea! I just used a powdered cleanser on the tub today and never even considered baking soda.

Thanks for the tip and for commenting!
Heather
 
I have white counters and a white sink. I was just yelling at my sink the other day because it had coffee stains that I could no get out. I finally poured some peroxide on it and let it sit--it worked, but I like your idea better.

Thank you--you just saved my sanity. Who in the world invents a white sink!?
 
Thanks - just what I need.
 
Great idea! I wonder if that would work for the marks that stainless steel untensils leave on my white Pfaltzgraff dishes instead of their special cleaner.
 
I do a similar thing with baking soda and vinegar.
 
Baking powder is awesome for white counter tops.

My cousin, who is a Navy nurse, says that hydrogen peroxide and baking soda is the best for getting "biological" stains out of white clothing.

Fortunately I haven't had to try this, but she would know.
 
That is a very good tip! My ceramic is very light in my kitchen and it never fails that something...like koolaid...always leaves its mark!!
 
Thanks for all your comments! It looks like we are in the same "white" boat here. :) Seems like baking soda by itself or with vinegar is what I should try next.

Heather
 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]